Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Genealogy Congress

Ardent genies are gearing up for Congress next week. The 14th Australasian Congress on Genealogy & Heraldry  will be held in Canberra 27 – 30 March.  This major genealogy conference for Australia and New Zealand is only held every three years.  The hosts are the The Heraldry & Genealogy Society of Canberra (HAGSOC), under the auspices of AFFHO Australasian Federation of Family History Societies.
I will be attending and will be reporting back on my experience via this blog and Twitter.  I expect it to be a busy time.  I have had to choose to attend sessions from a wide variety of four concurrent sessions per time slot.  I have considered these according to speaker, topic and relevance.  I have also included sessions on topics absolutely new to me.  I am looking forward to visiting vendors in the Exhibitors hall, sharing and networking with colleagues and Congress delegates.  We are fortunate to have access to international authoritative speakers as well a chance to meet people representing the commercial businesses in the genealogy industry as well as the non- commercial organizations represented.
I attended the 13th Congress in Adelaide in 2012 when the theme of the conference was “Your Ancestors in their social context”.  I have a copy of the proceedings which I have been reviewing recently.  I was reminded of one of the highlights of that conference Colleen Fitzpatrick’s presentation “The unknown child of the Titanic”.
After attending RootsTech 2013 and Who Do You Think You Are Live 2013, I am probably more spoiled than most.  Family History Conferences are ideal opportunities to expand your knowledge on resources available for your research, as well as an opportunity to learn about new tools, search techniques and programs and meet like minded people.  Ultimately, I hope as before to come away inspired and looking forward to discovering what is new in this ever evolving world of genealogy.  

1 comment:

GeniAus said...

The people of your area will benefit from the knowledge you bring back from Congress. Look forward to a catchup.