Tuesday, July 14, 2015

DVD Review: Birdsong

Beautifully and accurately filmed, Birdsong moves slowly but powerfully and gradually draws you in.  This UK production is a nice change from the usual fast faced, action packed war dramas with a terrific supporting cast, costumes and sets.
The book became a classic after it was published in 1993.  This first interpretation of it on film as a television mini series was released in 2012. Oscar winner Eddie Redmayne is superb in this war drama that mixes between his life and love affair in France before the war and his experience as an Officer on the Somme battlefields.
I first learned of Sebastian Faulk’s Birdsong when a family history researcher I had been collaborating with alerted me to it.  My Great Grandfather’s brother had been a tunneller in World War One.  He had enlisted in his 40’s following time spent on the Western Australian goldfields.  The author’s description of the tunnellers work and environment portrays conveys to me what the tunnellers had to go through, the mini- series also depicts this well.  I could not help but think about my Grand Uncle while I watched this depiction and marvel that he at least physically survived the horrors of the trenches, tunnels and battlefields of war.


No comments: