Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Book Review: A Different Earth

A Different Earth by Max C.S. Beck first drew my attention as I have ancestors who hailed from Cornwall and set sail for South Australia and then trekked overland to the Victorian Goldfields – I expect much like the story of Jane Dunstan and her family: Cornwall to Burra and overland to Gold.
The detailed “fictionalised” account told through Jane Dunstan’s eyes instantly drew me in, perhaps through the refreshing female view and the connection I felt with my own research of my Stevens family. Upon his retirement Mr. Beck decided to explore the family stories in his family history, research, visit the places his family lived and even sailed on a ship before writing this book. His exquisite attention to detail makes for fascinating – and inspiring reading. Jane and her family’s story would have been so similar to so many people from Cornwall and in fact the British Isles and beyond who decided to make a new life in a strange land.
I am pleased that Mr Beck has accepted Yarra Plenty Regional Library's invitation to present at Ivanhoe Library for National Family History Month in August. In the meantime enjoy this interview with Tiffany Truscott from BBC Cornwall


No comments: